The TELEPHONE EXCHANGE
In 1906, the acting Postmaster General supplied particulars in connection with establishment of a telephone exchange, requesting a list of those interested in connecting up, after which the agents, Wilshire & Garling, would receive details of costs to prospective subscribers.
Preliminary work began on Manilla Telephone Exchange in March 1907 with poles erected from the railway station towards the town. By May, telephone sets were being installed in subscriber businesses. When first opened in [c.1908], it offered a very efficient service to the townspeople. Most didn't have their own phone, but could still receive calls, with the switch operator running around town summoning people to a telephone call at the Post Office. The daily average was 49 calls, both local and trunk [distance].
By 1926, the Manilla exchange had 210 subscribers, with more on the waiting list. With a newly renovated post office, came space for expansion of the exchange. 2 new boards were installed and a second attendant engaged.
Fees for telephone subscribers in 1906.
More to come . . .
HISTORY of MANILLA N.S.W.