The JUNCTION, Manilla river to the left, joining the Namoi, is accessible on foot from North Manilla just east of the Mandowa Bridge.
When Europeans moved into these parts of the now New England Region in the 1830s, they squatted on land long-familiar to local indigenous families of the Kamilaroi [Gomeroi/Gamilaraay language] Nation of the Central North-west region of New South Wales. Kamilaroi Nation boundaries extend from Tamworth in the east, out westward to Narrabri, Walgett and Lightning Ridge; and from Coonabarabran in the Southwest to Goondawindi in the north at the Queensland border.
'The JUNCTION', as the new settlement was known until the mid 19th century, marks the route of early teamsters on their way northwards, transporting goods by wagon to cattle stations, settlements and the goldfields of Bingara and Bundarra. In the 1850s, an official name was requested by the Postmaster General. First storekeeper and Acting Postmaster of the time George Veness, named the place Manilla, after the river flowing down north-west of and into the larger Namoi River at 'the Junction'. In 1864, year of major flooding, the town of Manilla was laid out by government surveyor Arthur Dewhurst.
TAMWORTH & DISTRICTS EARLY HISTORY
Jim Carey, Tamworth Regional Council 2006
by Joanna Boileau 2007
T.R.C. Community based heritage study
A Tale of 2 'Ells'
Manilla, Australia, (with 2 'ells') holds a position on the global map some 11 hours 50 mins air-time from the usual spellchecked search outcome - Manila in the Philippines - spelt with 1 'ell'.
HISTORY of MANILLA N.S.W.