Manilla's First Cricket Team.
This photo was taken in 1873 by a travelling photographer named Millington. He established himself in his tent close to the cricket ground, which was situated at North Manilla, adjacent to the then Australian Arms Hotel, up from the northern bank of the Namoi river, west of the road to Barraba. The club practised on the oval regularly and played matches with neighbouring clubs which will shortly be identified here as well.
The Manilla Eleven in 1873, North Manilla Cricket Ground.
Standing: left to right; William Hill (capt.), William Smith, P. McGauley, J. McGauley (two brothers who erected Manilla’s first church, the Union Church at North Manilla) and David Hartley.
Sitting: A. Matherson, P. Quinn, C. Donohue, John Byrnes. Reclining: G. Best and J. Barratt.
Manilla & Halls Creek Combined Ladies Cricket Team 1914. Photo: William Sly
Cricket was equally popular with ladies in the Manilla district in the early years of the twentieth century. There were several teams in outlying districts such as Halls Creek and Wongo Creek. The Manilla & Halls Creek combined Ladies Cricket team sat for this group photo with their chaperones and companions, before leaving on the train for competition matches in Sydney in 1914. The young men pictured here were to go off to to the 1st World War very soon after. All but a few were killed in action.
Bexley Ladies Club won the match played at Manly Oval 230 to 55. Manilla won a match played on Sydney Cricket Ground 159 to 90, against a representative team from New South Wales Parliament. In that match Iris O'Toole made 40, Mildred Boland 29 and Alice McDonald 28. The final match, against Bexley Ladies "led by Sid Gregory's sister" at Waverley Oval, was won by Bexley 83 to 82 runs...a real nail-biter.
The first World War halted sport and social activities and changed a carefree way of life for people everywhere. The young men pictured in this 1914 photo were to go off to to the 1st World War very soon after. All but a few were killed in action.